Black Forest Genealogy

Landkreis Rastatt

 

Search For Villages in Landkreis Rastatt

The communities are listed alphabetically and can be accessed by selecting the correct letter below.

A-H
I J K L
M N O P
R-Z

Iffezheim

Geography:
With a current population of around 4,000, Iffezheim is 19,95 square kilometers in size. It is located southwest, ten kilometers from the city of Rastatt.

History:
First hint of Iffezheim can be found in the year 1225, under the name Uffinsheim (name of Uffin).Originally the town belonged under the jurisdiction of Ortensau and was under Baden leadership. Later Iffezheim was ruled by the city of Stollhofen. In 1790, it became part of the county of Rastatt.
The spring meeting of the international club of Baden-Baden has made the name Iffezheim not only known in Germany, but also abroad, and brought the community the nickname "Racing Community." The annual spring races bring an international flavor to the usually quiet and more contemplative place.
Edouard Benazel, the founder of the Baden-Baden Racing Association , introduced the race in 1858 to Iffezheim. Since 1969, the once valued "Farmers Race", at which amateurs have the chance to show what they can do, takes place at the same time. These races were originally more of a thank you from the high masters to the farmers of the village for helping with the preparation of the main event race Today, the races are fun for both the participants and spectators.

Emigrant Surnames:
Ambros, Eisemann, Eller, Erhard, Fritz, Greß, Groß, Hatz, Heitz, Herr, Heyer, Huber, Huck, Huttlinger, Jacob, Jakob, Jülig, Kohler, Leichtner, Leppert, Merkel, Metz, Nachbauer, Oesterle, Peter, Pfetzer, RIchter, Schäfer, Scheffel, Schmitt, Schneider, Schocher, Schubert, Schwarz, Siegel, Sievert Walter, Weber, Wilhelm, Wirkner, Wurz, Ziegler, Zimber, Zoller

Information Sources:
Catholic
birth and baptisms: 1731-1900
marriages: 1731-1900
death and burial: 1731-1889
confirmations: 1895-1900
family registry: 1679, 1818

Links:

Researchers in this area:
John@johnmerkel.com (Would like to hear from anyone in Iffezheim that is online.)

Illingen(see also Elchesheim)

Geography:
Located on the Rhein River and sharing the Goldkanal Lake with the town of Elchesheim. It is only 15 kilometers from the city of Karlsruhe.

History:
First mentioned in the official documents in 960 as "Ulrich" it was part of the Rhein River estate of Lautenberg, under the possession of Speyer. There was a ferry service near Illingen in 1288, which traded goods with the Alsace town of Mothern. In 1743, the Bishop of Speyer set a traders tax for all the users of the ferry service and all the villagers of Illingen. Through mutual cooperation Ilingen was incorporated with the town of Elchesheim in 1923.

Emigrant Surnames:
Bitterwolf, Busch, Deck, Fischer, Fütterer, Heck, Jörger, Mößner, Schickel, Späth, Wittmann

Information Sources:
Catholic
birth and baptism: 1733 - 1921
marriages: 1734 - 1935
death and burial: 1734 - 1942
confirmations: 1739 - 1779

Evangelical - Lutheran
births: 1733 - 1924
marriages: 1734 - 1935
death and burial: 1734 - 1942
confirmations: 1739 - 1779

Links:

Kapplewindeck

Geography: Located in the "wine region" of the Rhein Valley, Kappelwindeck is seven kilometers south of its parent parish of Buhlertal and 15 kilometers southwest of the city of Buehl. Known as the home of the Windeck Castle it has become the most chosen motif to publicize the Buhler area.

History:
In the 14th century the palace on the hill became the residence of an aristocratic family, the Windecks. They achieved power and prestige as feudatory tenants of the Ebersteins. When gunpowder was invented, the fortress lost its value and, as a result, the Margraves were no longer interested in its maintenance. In order to increase their power they secured an interest in the castle as the Windeckers lost political and economic influence. The last Windecker took residence at the castle and went into service as part of the Strassburg civil service. The male line of the Windeck's died out in 1592. The castle was then allowed to decay and was forgotten.
Later, it became the possession of the Frauenhalb Cloister, where it was turned into a hereditary fief. As was usual in the times, the hermitage possessed, as titled, the right to sell wine, as in a tavern.
The romantic age of the 19th century was the rediscovery of the Windeck Castle, and the Middle ages. Kappelwindeck developed a summer resort economy, in that it was often a visited excursion goal.
The land surrounding the castle was, in the 14th and 15th century, primarily vineyards. By the 16th century Kappelwindeck was noted as the largest winery in the region.
The Kaiserlinde, Kaiser's linden tree is at the center of Kappelwindeck. Festivals and celebrations take place here. Here is where the people of Kappelwindeck play band music, and the younger people shriek with delight and dance in the dance arbors. A linden tree in Kappelwindeck is mentioned as early as 1430.
Kappelwindeck was incorporated into the district city of Buehl in 1932, through the mutual consent of both towns

In the year 1392 - St. Maria, Earliest Catholic Church

Information Sources:
Kappelwindeck (Buehl)
Catholic
births, marriages and deaths: 1810-1870

Kappelwindeck (Kappelwindeck)
births and baptisms: 1691-1900
marriages: 1691-1900
deaths and burial: 1710-1900
confirmations: 1696-1710
family registry: 1696, 1700, 1710

Links: See Black Forest Legends

Kartung

Geography:

History:

Emigrant Surnames:

Information Sources:

Links:

Kuppenheim

Geography:
Kuppenheim is located just 5 km. south of its parent parish of Rastatt. Thanks to its favorable location on the Murg River at the entrance to the Murg Valley, it was regarded as the first fortified town in the Oosgau.

History:
Kuppenheim was first documented in 1100. By 1254 it was known as a market town. In 1283 the town first became part of Baden. A margravial document of 1453 stated Kuppenheim as the seat of civil administration with authority over 14 villages. It was elevated as a county seat in 1535, with authority over 22 villages, including Gaggenau.
History also records severe setbacks for Kuppenheim. Among these were the 30 years war and August 24, 1689, when Kuppenheim and Baden-Baden were put to the torch by the French. At that time, the town of Kuppenheim lost its designation as county seat.
Preserved for history were the town charter, the remains of the town wall, the moat as well as the layout of the old town.

Emigrant Surnames:
Adam, Bader, Bender, Boh, Daigler, Deck, Deugler, Düringer, Eger, Föry, Fritsch, Kastner, Demper, Knörr, Koch, Kolb, Krieg, Kuppenheimer, Leopold, Lepold, Mai, Merkel, Mühleisen, Müller, Mürb, Neff, Nöder, Oser, Rammelmayer, Raub, Reilsberger, Röder, Roos, Schmidt, Schmitt, Schuh, Schuler, Schulz, Seitz, Siefert, Stadehofer, Stein, Stemmle, Walz, Warth, Weinschenk, Wendelgaß, Westermann, Wetzel, Wittmaier

Information Sources:
Catholic (originals) birth and baptism : 1694-to the present
marriages: 1694-to the present
death and burial: 1712- to the present
compiled manuscript family books exist and are microfilmed

Jewish (originals)
birth, marriage and deaths: 1812-to the present

Researchers in this area:
The district government of Karlsruhe and Baden brought the whole facility in 1874. They established a nursing institute for the districts, which is still in operation today.
About 5,700 inhabitants are living at Ottersweier. At the beginning of 1972, the village of Unzhurst became a village district of Ottersweier by a voluntary agreement.

Emigrant Surnames:
Albrecht, Armbruster, Bäuerle, Baßler, Bauer, Binder, Birnbräuer, Brust, Burkkart, BUrger, Burgert, Burkart, Burst, Debano, Dinger, Dischler, Doll, Doninger, Eckerle, Egner, Eicher, Eisele, Engelmeier, Ernst, Falk, Filter, Fischer, Frank, Friedmann, Fuß, Graf, Gutmann, Hasenohr, Haungs, Hauser, Heid, Heitzler, Hemberger, Herrmann, Herzog, Heß, Hettich, Hiepp, Hintzler, Hipp, Hörth, Höß, Huber, Huck, Hug, Hund, Jörger, Jung, Kappler, Ketterer, Kirschner, Kist, Klein, Klumpp, Knößel, Kohler, Kopf, Lechleiter, Lion, Lorenz, Meier, Merk, Metzinger, Metzinger, gennant Stefanstochter, Mirschler, Morgenthaler, Moeßner, Moser, Müller, Netz, Nikai, Oberle, Oechsle, Oser, Rapp, Reck, Rettig, Rheinschmitt, Röck, Rummel, Rumpf, Sackmann, Sauer, Schabeberle, Schaufler, Scheer, Schehr, Scherzinger, Scheurer, Schindler, Schmalz, Schmälzle, Schneider, Schrempp, Schuh, Schwarz, Seifermann, Sickinger, Sirjaques, Speiler, Spinner, Steidel, Steier, Straub, Streit, Trapp, Veith, Vierling, Volz, Wäldele, Walch, Waßmer, Weber, Weiler, Wis, Weiser, Willi, Wimmer, Wörner, Ziegler, Zimmer, Zinck, Zorn

Information Sources:
Ottersweier (Buehl)
Evangelical-Lutheran
birth and baptism: 1855-1962
marriages: 1861-1962
death and burial: 1895-1962

Ottersweier (Ottersweier)
Catholic
birth and baptism: 1810-1870
birth and baptism: 1855-1962
marriages: 1810-1870
marriages: 1861-1962
death and burial: 1810-1870
death and burial: 1895-1962

Links:

Plittersdorf

Geography:
The former independent town of Plittersdorf is located ten kilometers southwest of the city of Rastatt. It is well-known throughout the county of Rastatt for its Rhein ferry service. In 1974, the 3,000 inhabitants of Plitterdorf were incorporated into the city of Rastatt.

History:

Emigrant Surnames:
Beck, Dietsch, Fischang, Fritz, Hauns, Köppel, Lorenz, Müller, Nold, Reiter, Uhrig, Wehrle, Weyland

Information Sources:
Catholic
births: 1717-1901
confirmations: 1791, 1828
marriage: 1719-1786
marriage: 1796-1913
burials: 1718-1900
The LDS microfilm of records for Ottersdorf begins in 1700, and the first section, through 1717, includes the records of Plittersdorf and Wintersdorf. They were all recorded together in the Ottersdorf book at that time.

Links:


Important Addresses:

(Landkreis Rastatt Archives)
Kreisarchiv fur den Landkreis Rastatt
Landratsamt
Herrenstr 13
Postfach 1863
76437 Rastatt

LDS Archives for all of Germany
Kirche Jesu Christi der HLT
Abteilung Genealogie
Max - Planck - Str 239
61381 Friedrichsdorf

General Land Archives
Generallandesarchiv Karlsruhe
Nördliche Hildapromenade 2
76133 Karlsruhe


Post your information on this region here. Help us to help you and your fellow researchers. For more information direct your Inquiries to...
Email