Black Forest Genealogy

Black Forest Genealogy

Ortenaukreis

 

Search For Villages in Ortenaukreis

The communities are listed alphabetically and can be accessed by selecting the correct letter below.

A-H
I J K L
M N O P
R-Z

Ibach (Oberkirch)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Ibach is a Catholic affiliate of Oppenau. See Oppenau.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Ichenheim (Lahr)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Ichenheim Catholic parish is very old. 1554-1629 and 1649-1680 the parish became Lutheran. Ichenheim was pastored by Gengenbach Cloister between 1680 and 1803. The village of Dundenheim is an affiliate of Ichenheim. Ichenheim Catholic church records begin 1727. Earlier entries are in Kürzell Catholic registers. Dundenheim Catholic records beginning 1793 are also kept by Ichenheim. See Kürzell.
Evangelical parish -- Ichenheim was an independent Evangelical parish until 1677 when it was made an affiliate of Ottenheim. It was also pastored from Meissenheim at times. Ichenheim was again made an independent parish in 1765. Dundenheim is an Evangelical affiliate of Ichenheim. Ichenheim Evangelical records begin as follows -- baptisms, marriages, and deaths for 1633-1700, 1722-1730, and 1740-1745. Since 1751, Ichenheim records are in a regular order. There are casually recorded entries for the villages of Kürzell, Friesenheim, Schutterzell, Kippenheim, Ichenheim, Dundenheim, Diersburg, and Heiligenzell between 1740 and 1745. Church books for 1731 and 1747-1765 for Ichenheim and Dundenheim can be found in Kippenheim. See Kippenheim and Ottenheim or additional information.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Käfersberg

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Käfersberg has been a Catholic affiliate of Ortenberg since 1787. Prior to 1787, Käfersburg and Ortenberg were part of Offenburg Catholic parish. See Ortenberg and Offenburg. 1900.

Former Political Jurisdiction:

Links:

Kaltbrunn (Wolfach)

Note:see Wolfach

Kappel am Rhein

Note:see Kappel-Grafenhausen

Kappel-
Grafenhausen

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Kappel am Rhein Catholic parish -- Kappel am Rhein Catholic parish is old. Wittenauer is part of Kappel am Rhein parish. Kappel am Rhein Catholic records begin 1699. Records covering the years 1662-1954 are available through LDS branch family history centers. See Ettenheim.
Grafenhausen Catholic parish -- Grafenhausen has been a Catholic parish since the 15th century. Earlier it was part of Ettenheim. It was part of Ettenheimmünster Cloister parish until 1789. Grafenhausen Catholic parish was Lutheran 1561-1580. Grafenhausen Catholic records begin 1686. There are a few baptisms recorded before 1650. The village of Grafenhausen and its church records were burnt in 1636. See Ettenheim.
"Dorfsippenbuch von Kappel am Rhein", 1955, by Albert Köbele.
"Genealogical for the village of Kappel am Rhein", German language only

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr
formerly the individual villages of Kappel am Rhein and Grafenhausen

Links:

Kappelrodeck

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Kappelrodeck Catholic parish was established in 1447 with the affiliates of Seebach, Furschenbach, Waldulm, Ringelbach, and Ottenhöfen (until 1823). Oberachern was the Mother Church for Kappelrodeck and other Acher Valley villages. Kappelrodeck church books begin 1664. There are gaps in the records between 1700 and 1713. An attempt to fill this gap was made by interviewing citizens of Kappelrodeck. These records also include a family book from 1750 and a notebook containing historical remarks.
Evangelical sources -- Kappelrodeck is part of the Achern Evangelical parish. See Achern.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Kehl

Geography:
The city of Kehl is situated in the Hanauerland on the Rhine River directly across from Strasbourg, France. The Europa Brücke (Europe Bridge) links the two cities. Kehl's territory is largely flatland along the Rhine, but there are also vineyards in the area. The city has a population of 32,000. In 1975, 14 neighboring towns were incorporated into Kehl including Auenheim, Bodersweier, Goldschauer, Hohnhurst, Kernstadt, Kork, Leutesheim, Marlen, Kittenburg, Neumühl, Odelshofen, Querbach, and Zierolshofen. Kehl is home to an inland port. The city is 139 meters above sea level

History:
The city of Kehl is first mentioned historically in 1038 along with the towns of Iringheim and Sundheim. The fishermen, rafters, and ferry operators from these towns controlled traffic on the Rhine around the year 1000. Records in 1289 refer to Kehl as Fischerdorf.
In 1333, construction began on the first bridge over the Rhine between Kehl and Strasbourg, France, and since 1388 there has been a link between the two cities. Until 1661, it was the northern-most bridge over the Rhine.
The French, lead by Louis XIV, seized control of Kehl in 1678. They turned Kehl into a garrison town with the construction of a fortress between 1680 and 1688. After abandoning the city to the Markgraf Ludwig Wilhelm of Baden in 1698, the French reoccupied the fortress after a long siege lasting from 1703 to 1714. The Treaty of Rastaat, however, returned the city to the control of Baden. In 1733, the French reoccupied the city again, but by 1736 Kehl was yet again returned to Baden.
During the ensuing peacetime, a city developed within the walls of the fortress and a large village developed around it. The city of Kehl obtained its town charter in 1774.
In 1796, Napoleon's troops again occupied Kehl briefly. Kehl as well as Sundheim, the Hanauerland, and the Ortenau were under the rule of Baden from 1801 to 1808, but then again recaptured by French troops. The French capitulated in 1814. The following year the fortress was demolished, and reconstruction of the city began.
A railroad bridge was constructed in 1861 making it possible for trains to travel directly from Paris to Vienna for the first time. Train changes were made at Kehl.
The city was again destroyed in 1870 due to French military bombardment during the Franco-Prussian War. In 1881, the capital of the Hanauerland district was moved to Kehl from Kork.
Kehl's importance as a city of commerce increased after the inland port was built on the Rhine between 1896 and 1900. A metal framed bridge was constructed over the Rhine in 1897. The bridge was controlled by the French from 1919 to 1930.
The city was evacuated twice during World War II. Between 1949 and 1953, the residents returned to the city in 42 stages, and the harbor was rebuilt. The Europa Brücke (Europe Bridge) was completed in 1960.
The city of Kehl (within the site of the old garrison) and the village of Kehl (surrounding the site of the old garrison) were united in 1910. After redistricting in 1975, the following towns were placed under the jurisdiction of Kehl: Auenheim, Bodersweier, Goldschauer, Hohnhurst, Kernstadt, Kork, Leutesheim, Marlen, Kittenburg, Neumühl, Odelshofen, Querbach, and Zierolshofen.
The city is an important port and transportation crossing point. Nearly 20 million people cross between Kehl and Strasbourg by train and auto annually. About 29,000 ships travel through the port each year.
Kehl's location makes it an excellent starting point from which to explore Strasbourg and Alsace as well as the Black Forest.

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Kehl is divided into two Evangelical parishes. One, referred to as Dorf-Kehl, is served by Christuskirche, while the other is referred to as Stadt-Kehl which is served by Friedenskirche.
Christuskirche -- Christuskirche Evangelical parish is old. The village of Sundheim was an affiliate until 1948. The parish is now called Kehl- Sundheim. Christuskirche church books begin as follows -- baptisms and marriage 1560 and deaths 1624. There are gaps in deaths 1637-1660. Records for 1560-1961, including the village of Sundheim, are available through LDS branch family history centers.
Friedenskirche -- Friedenskirche Evangelical parish was established in 1774. Earlier and 1796-1917 it was combined with Christuskirche Evangelical parish. Friedenskirche church books begin 1774. There are gaps between 1796 and 1815. Some entries can been found in neighboring villages between 1793 and 1800. There is a family book from 1800. Friedenskirche Evangelical records covering the years 1774-1961 are available through LDS branch family history centers.
Evangelical military records -- The Evangelical military parish records for Kehl cover the following years -- baptisms, marriages, and deaths 1717-1744; marriages 1749-1754; deaths 1747-1755; and births, marriages, and deaths 1881-1918. These records include Hanauer soldiers. Evangelical military records covering the years 1717-1755 and 1881-1918 are available through LDS branch family history centers.
Catholic parish -- Kehl Catholic parish was established about 1680. Church records begin as follows -- baptisms 1747, deaths 1766, and marriages 1768. There are gaps 1793-1815. Military entries are included from the beginning. Catholic records for 1747-1901 are available through LDS branch family history centers.
Catholic military records-- Catholic military records are included with Kehl Catholic parish. There is a duplicate book for the Pioneer Battalion 14 covering the years 1881-1907.

Former Political Jurisdiction:Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl
Kehl was formerly divided into Stadt Kehl and Dorf Kehl. The village (Dorf) of Kehl grew up around the fortress city (Stadt) of Kehl.

Links:

Kinzigtal

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Kinzigtal is a district (Gemeinde) composed of Halbmeil, Ippichen, St. Roman, and Langenbach. See Wolfach

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Kippenheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Kippenheim Catholic parish is very old. It became Lutheran in 1560, and changed between Lutheran and Catholic often. In 1651 it became Lutheran and Catholic simultaneously (Simultankirche). Kippenheimweiler is an affiliate of Kippenheim. Friesenheim was an affiliate until 1771. The villages of Sulz, Mahlberg, and Orschweier were also affiliates at times. Kippenheim Catholic church books begin 1655. They include Swiss immigrants to Kippenheim. Kippenheim Catholic church records for 1600-1662, including Kippenheimweiler 1810-1890, are available through LDS family history centers.
Jewish sources -- Jewish Standesbucher begin 1810. Kippenheim Jewish records for the year 1811-1870 are available through LDS family history centers.
Evangelical parish -- Kippenheim Evangelical parish co-exists with the Catholic parish. The Catholic parish became Lutheran in 1560, and then changed often between Catholicism and Lutheranism. In 1651, the parish became simultaneously (Simultankirche) Catholic and Lutheran. Kippenheimweiler is an affiliate of Kippenheim Evangelical parish. The following villages were also affiliates of Kippenheim at one time -- Schmieheim, Ottenheim, Schutterzell, Ichenheim, Dundenheim, Friesenheim, Heiligenzell, Oberweier, Diersburg, Kürzell, Mahlberg, Mietersheim and Sulz. Ettenheim was an affiliate 1880-1900. Oberschopfheim was part of Friesenheim and Kippenheim 1629-1768.

Kippenheim Evangelical records begin as follows --
baptisms 1642, marriages 1646, and deaths 1659 for Ottenheim and Schutterzell
1729-1755 for Kippenheim
1731 for Ichenheim and Dundenheim
1728 for Friesenheim, Heiligenzell, Oberweier, and Diersburg
1747-1765 for Kippenheim, Ichenheim, Friesenheim, Kürzell, Mahlberg, Sulz, Schutterzell, and Dundenheim
1758-1771 for Kippenheim with Mahlberg, Kippenheimweiler, Sulz (since 1872);
There is a family book from 1872 which was traced back to 1786. There is a family book for Kippenheimweiler until 1781. There is a listing for Evangelical families from Kippenheim and Sulz for 1600-1700.
Evangelical church records for 1600-1962 are available through LDS family history centers.
"Ortsippenbuch Kippenheim, Ortenaukreis, Baden", 1979; "Genealogical Register for Kippenheim, Ortenaukreis, Baden"; German language only

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Kippenheimweiler

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical and Catholic -- Kippenheimweiler Catholics and Lutherans are served by parishes in Kippenheim. See Kippenheim.
"Dorfsippenbuch Kippenheimweiler", 1957, by Albert Köbele and Erich Henschke,
"Genealogical Register for the Village of Kippenheimweiler"; German language only

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Kirnbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Kirnbach Evangelical parish is old. It became Lutheran in 1534 (Wuerttemburgish). 1643-1649 Kirnbach was part of Gutach Evangelical parish. The village of Wolfach was pastored from Gutach and Kirnbach 1880-1901. Kirnbach Evangelical records begin 1704. There is a Seelenregister (souls register) from 1705. Earlier records may appear in Gutach. See Gutach.
Catholic sources -- Kirnbach is part of Wolfach Catholic parish. See Wolfach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Kittersberg

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Kittersberg is an affiliate of Marlen Catholic parish. Marlen Catholic parish is now known as Goldscheuer-Marlen parish. See Marlen

Former Political Jurisdiction:

Links:

Kork

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Kork Evangelical parish is the oldest in the Hanauerland. It became Lutheran in 1545. The villages of Neumühl, Odelshofen, and Querbach are part of Kork Evangelical parish. The villages of Willstätt, Legelshurst, and Sand were also part of Kork Evangelical parish in earlier times. Between 1675 and 1709, Kork was more or less pastored from Legelshurst. Kork Evangelical church records begin 1636. There are gaps in the records 1675-1700. There is a family book from 1810. Legelshurst records begin 1616. See Legelshurst

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Kuhbach (Lahr)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish-- Kuhbach Catholic parish was established in 1908. It was an affiliate of Reichenbach (Lahr). Prior to 1838, Kuhbach was part of Seelbach (Lahr) Catholic parish. Kuhbach Catholic records begin in 1838. 1739-1830 Kuhbach entries are contained in Reichenbach Catholic church records. Before 1739, they appear in Reichenbach (Lahr) Catholic church books. See Seelbach (Lahr) and Reichenbach (Lahr)
Evangelical sources -- Kuhbach is part of Lahr-Seelbach Evangelical parish. See Lahr.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Kürzell

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish-- Kürzell Catholic parish is old. It was a cloister parish belonging to Schuttern Cloister. 1556-1629 the parish became Lutheran. Schutterzell is an affiliate of Kürzell. Langenwinkel was an affiliate of Kürzell 1807-1844. Ottenheim was part of Kürzell parish 1656-1693. Kürzell Catholic records begin as follows --
baptisms 1650 for Kürzell and Schuttern
baptisms 1662-1683 for Ottenheim
baptisms 1689-1680 for Ichenheim and Dundenheim
baptisms 1686 for Meissenheim
marriages 1665
deaths 1679 for Kürzell, Schuttern, and Ottenheim
1726 baptisms, marriages, deaths for Kürzell and Schuttern
1807-1844 baptisms, marriages, deaths for Langenwinkel
Evangelical parish -- Kürzell Evangelical parish was established in 1772. 1660-1696 Kürzell was part of Ottenheim Evangelical parish. Kürzell was pastored from Ichenheim, Kippenheim, and Allmannsweier until 1772. Schutterzell is an affiliate of Kürzell. Kürzell Evangelical records begin 1660, and include a family book from 1797. 1660-1731 records are incomplete. 1740-1745 Kürzell entries can be found in Ichenheim Evangelical records. 1747-1758 Kürzell entries can be found in Kippenheim Evangelical records. See Ichenheim and Kippenheim.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Lahr/Schwarzwald

Geography:
Lahr is situated in southern Ortenaukreis where the Schutter Valley opens into the Rhine Valley. The city has a population of about 42,000 and includes the smaller towns of Burgheim, Dinglingen, Hugsweier, Kippenheimweiler, Kuhbach, Langenwinkel, Mietenheim, Reichenbach, and Sulz. Lahr is about 45 km from Freiburg, 16 km from Offenburg, and 39 km from Strasbourg, France. The city is an industrial and educational center.

History:
The origins of the city of Lahr can be traced to the year 1220 when the noble family von Geroldseck began construction of a fortress. However, the name of the city is documented for the first time in 1215 in reference to a "Henricus de Lare". The name Lahr has its origins in the old words "lare" and "leere" which mean empty or emptiness. The area probably acquired the name from herders in area towns who used the then empty site of Lahr for grazing.
Archeological evidence proves the area of Lahr was inhabited as early as the Stone Age. The Celts settled the area in the 2nd century B.C. Remains of Roman pottery can be traced to the 1st and 2nd centuries A.D. The German Allemanic tribe drove out the Romans in 260 A.D. The existence of the towns of Dinglingen and Burgheim, which have been subsequently incorported into Lahr, can be traced to the time of the expulsion of the Romans.
The orginal city of Lahr came into existence with the construction of the von Geroldseck fortress in 1220. The fortress had a square tower at its center with four turrets at the corners. It was encircled by a moat 30 yards wide. The town grew rapidly in the 14th century, leading to the expansion of the city walls several times.
The city was granted the Grosser Freiheitsbrief (Great Liberation Papers) by Heinrich von Geroldseck in 1377. This allowed for the election of a town mayor and other representatives. It also permitted the city to levy taxes and secure its own defense.
Lahr was passed to the jurisdiction of the city of Nassau in 1517, but was was under the sovereignty of the German State of Hesse.
Lahr, like many towns of Central Europe, was completely destroyed by the 30 Years' War which ended in 1647. The city was again levelled in 1677 when French troops under Louis XIV invaded.
One of the oldest structures in the city is St. Peter's Church located in Burgheim. The church was constructed in 1035 on the foundation of an earlier church dating to the 8th century. The village of Burgheim was incorporated into Lahr in 1804.
In 1933, the village of Dinglingen was incorporated into Lahr. Dinglingen is mentioned in documents as early as 961 A.D.
In 1972, the following villages were incorporated into the city of Lahr: Hugsweier, Kippenheimweiler, Kuhbach, Langenwinkel, Mietenheim, Reichenbach, and Sulz. The city of Lahr, including all incorporated areas, currently has a population of about 40,000. The population of Lahr in 1804 was about 4,500, and at the end of World War II was about 13,000. The city's area covers over 17,000 acres of land, but the city is currently purchasing the former headquarters for Canadian Forces in Germany from the German Federal Government. A portion of the former military base has already been turned into an industrial park. Canadian forces established headquarters at Lahr in 1967. The base was closed soon after German reunification.
Lahr is an industrial center with factories producing paper, metal, and chemical products, as well as precision instruments and textiles.
The city is also known as an education center. There are many schools devoted to the handicapped, the arts, agriculture, medicine, and trades.
The city hosts over 75,000 visitors annually. There are several museums, and the city's library boasts an extensive archive.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish (Lahr) -- Lahr Evangelical parish was an affiliate of Dinglingen until 1485. Lahr became Lutheran in 1567. Seelbach is an affiliate of Lahr. Burgheim was an affiliate of Lahr until 1869, when the village of Burgheim was incorporated into the city of Lahr. Reichenbach (Lahr), Prinzbach, Dörlinbach, and Wittelbach were affiliates of Lahr. Schmieheim was pastored from Lahr at times. Lahr Evangelical church records begin 1680. Records for 1680- 1962 and a family book (1877-1882), including the village of Seelbach 1922-1956 with a Seelbach family book, can be obtained through LDS family history centers.
Evangelical parish (Lahr-Dinglingen) -- The Evangelical parish of Lahr-Dinglingen was at times the parish of Mietersheim. It became Lutheran in 1564. Mietersheim is an affiliate of Lahr- Dinglingen. Langenwinkel was an affiliate of Lahr-Dinglingen until 1956. Lahr-Dinglingen Evangelical records begin as follows -- 1640 for Mietersheim, 1651 for Dinglinen and Mietersheim, and 1798-1956 for Langenwinkel.
Catholic parish (Lahr) -- Lahr Catholic parish was established in 1843 through transference from the Tennenbach (Landkreis Emmendingen) parish. Dinglingen is an affiliate of Lahr Catholic parish. Lahr Catholic records begin 1843. Earlier records can be found in Lahr Evangelical parish records. Records for 1849-1890 are available through LDS family history centers. Catholic parish (Lahr-Dinglingen) -- Lahr-Dinglingen parish was established in 1943, and was earlier part of Lahr Catholic parish. Hugsweier and Langenwinkel are affiliates of Lahr-Dinglingen. Mietersheim is part of Lahr-Dinglingen parish. Lahr-Dinglingen Catholic records begin 1910. Jewish sources -- Jewish Standesbuch through 1870. Records for 1858-1869 are available through LDS family history centers.

Burgerbuch von 1356 und 1662 (Citizens book from 1356 and 1662) is kept in the Lahr Stadtarchiv, and includes neighboring villages.

Genealogy of the House of Geroldsek, including their manorial estates in Baden 1141-1594 (printed 1776)

Historical Development of the city of Lahr (by Käthe Roth, printed 1961)


Stadtarchiv Lahr

Rathhaus
Rathausplatz
77933 Lahr (Schwarzwald)

Links:

Langenhardt (Lahr)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic sources -- Langenhardt Catholic parish was an affiliate of Sulz 1810-1860. See Sulz.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Langenhardt is now part of the village of Sulz

Links:

Langenwinkel

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical affiliate -- Langenwinkel is an affiliate of Allmansweier. It was part of Lahr-Dinglingen parish until 1956. See Allmansweier and Lahr-Dinglingen.
Catholic affiliate -- Langenwinkel is an affiliate of Lahr Catholic parish. It was an affiliate of Kürzell 1807-1844. See Lahr and Kürzell.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Langhurst

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
The village of Langhurst if part of the district (Gemeinde) and parish of Schutterwald. See Schutterwald.

Links:

Lauf

Geography: Lauf is situated in extreme northeastern Ortenaukreis where the foothills of the Black Forest meet the Rhine Plain. Elevation ranges from 180 meters to 1,010 meters above sea level. The ruins of the Burg Neuwindeck (Fortress Neuwindeck) are above the village. Lauf has a population of about 4,000.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Lauf Catholic parish was established in 1787. Earlier it was an affiliate of Sasbach (Ortenaukreis). Niederhofen is part of the district (Gemeinde) and parish of Lauf. Lauf Catholic records begin as follows -- marriages and deaths 1748 and baptisms 1761. Earlier baptisms appear in Sasbach (Ortenaukreis) records 1697-1809. An earlier Sasbach book (1657- 1696) has been lost.
"Dorfsippenbuch Lauf", 1938 (Genealogical Register for the village of Lauf) -- German language only.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Bühl; Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Lautenbach (near Offenburg)

Geography:
Lautenbach is located at the center of Ortenaukreis just east of Offenburg, the seat of government for Ortenaukreis. The landscape includes lakes, streams, and forest. Elevation ranges from 200 meters to 800 meters above sea level. Lautenbach has a population of about 2,000.

History:

Former Political Jurisdiction: BR>Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Lautenbach Catholic parish was established in 1815. Earlier it was an affiliate of Oberkirch. At times, Lautenbach was part of Allerheiligen Cloister. The villages of Sendelbach (Oberkirch) and Winterbach (Lautenbach) are affiliates of Lautenbach. The villages of Sulzbach (Oberkirch) and Hohenrain are part of Lautenbach. Lautenbach Catholic records begin 1811. Records covering 1811-1900 are available through LDS branch family history centers. Earlier records in Oberkirch Catholic parish. See Oberkirch

Links:

Legelshurst

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Legelshurst Evangelical parish is old. It became Lutheran in 1558. It was at times pastored by Kork. Oberkirch was pastored from Legelshurst until 1862. Legelshurst Evangelical records begin as follows -- marriages 1616, baptisms 1618, and deaths 1622. An anniversary book from the 14th and 15th centuries is in the General Land Archives.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Leutesheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Leutesheim Evangelical parish was established in 1716. Earlier it belonged to Auenheim Evangelical parish. Leutesheim Evangelical records begin in 1716. Records prior to 1716 are in Auenheim. Auenheim records begin 1561. See Auenheim.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Lierbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic sources -- Lierbach is part of Oppenau Catholic parish. See Oppenau.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Linx

Geography:

History:
Freistett was incorporated into the newly created city of Rheinau January 1, 1975, along with the villages of Diersheim, Freistett, Hausgereut, Helmlingen, Holzhausen, Honau, Memprechtshofen, and Rheinbischofsheim.

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Linx Evangelical parish is old. It became Lutheran in 1566. Linx was served from Bodersweier 1641- 1654 and 1687-1701. Linx Evangelical church records begin 1603, and include confirmations since 1738.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Mahlberg

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Mahlberg Catholic parish is old. It was Lutheran 1567-1647. Beginning in 1651 Mahlberg was an affiliate of Kippenheim. The village of Orschweier is an affiliate of Mahlberg. Mahlberg Catholic records begin 1810. Records covering 1810-1900 are available through LDS family history centers. See Kippenheim.
Jewish sources -- Jewish Standesbücher 1819-1828
Mennonite sources -- Mennonite Standesbücher 1818-1828
Evangelical sources -- Mahlberg Evangelical parish was established in 1806. It was an affiliate of Kippenheim from 1651-1806. Ottenheim was pastored from Mahlberg for a time. Ettenheim was an affiliate of Mahlberg 1844-1880 and 1900-1952. Mahlberg Evangelical records begin 1810. Records covering 1796-1962 are available through LDS branch family history centers. Mahlberg entries can be found in Ettenheim Catholic parish records before 1755. See Ettenheim and Kippenheim.
"Pragmatische Geschichte des Hauses Geroldsek: wie auch derer Reichherr- schaften Hohengeroldsek, Lahr und Mahlberg in Schwaben 1141-1594", 1766 (reprinted);
"Genealogy of the House of Geroldsek, including their manorial estates Hohengeroldsek, Lahr, and Mahlberg in Swabia 1141-1594", German language only.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Maisach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Maisach is a Catholic affiliate of Oppenau. See Oppenau.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Malchhurst

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
The hamlet is Malchhurst is part of Sasbachried. Both Malchhurst and Sasbachried are part of Sasbach Catholic parish. See Sasbach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Marlen

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Marlen Catholic parish is old. It is now the parish of Goldscheuer-Marlen. The village of Kittersburg is an affiliate of Goldscheuer-Marlen. Goldscheuer-Marlen Catholic records begin 1758. There are gaps in marriages and deaths 1784-1811. There is a family book from 1800, and confirmations since 1760. Older records were destroyed in 1848 when the rectory burned.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Meißenheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Meissenheim Evangelical parish is very old. It became Lutheran 1634-1674, and then was a Catholic affiliate of Ichenheim until 1765. The village of Nonnenweier was pastored from Meissenheim 1680-1683. The village of Wittenweier was pastored from Meissenheim 1780-1783. Ottenheim was part of Meissenheim parish 1629-1656. The village of Mietersheim was once part of Meissenheim parish. Meissenheim Evangelical records begin as follows -- marriages 1568, baptisms 1572, and deaths 1609. Entries for 1686 are in Kürzell Catholic parish registers.
"Dorfsippenbuch Meissenheim, Kreis Lahr in Baden", 1951 "Lineage Book for the Village of Meissenheim"; German language only
"Dorfsippenbuch Meissenheim, Kreis Lahr", 1969, by Albert Köbele "Lineage Book for the Village of Meissenheim"; German language only
"Heimatbuch des Reiddorfes Meissenheim". 1969, by Friedrich Schwärzel (a local history of Meissenheim with the genealogy of the von Wurmser family); German language only

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Mietersheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical affiliate -- Mietersheim is an affiliate of Lahr-Dinglingen Evangelical parish. Mietersheim was an independent parish 1629- 1633 and 1648-1675, and then changed between Ottenheim, Kippenheim, and Meissenheim. Mietersheim Evangelical records 1640, and they are kept by Lahr-Dinglingen parish.
Catholic information -- Mietersheim is part of Lahr-Dinglingen Catholic parish.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Mösbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Mösbach Catholic parish was established in 1863. Previously it was an affiliate of Ulm (Offenburg). Ulm (Offenburg) was the Mother Church for Mösbach and many other parishes. Mösbach Catholic records begin 1811. See Ulm (Offenburg).

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Mühlenbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Mühlenbach Catholic parish was established in the 15th century. Earlier and 1643-1649 it was part of Haslach im Kinzigtal Catholic parish. Mühlenbach Catholic records begin 1643. There are gaps in all records1660-1663 and gaps in baptisms for 1771. Records covering 1643-1900, including a family book from 1800, are available through LDS family history centers.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Mühlenheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Müllen

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Müllen Catholic parish is old. The village of Altenheim is part of Müllen parish. Catholic records begin 1727, and include a family book from 1780.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Münchweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Münchweier Catholic parish is very old. Wallburg is an affiliate of Münchweier. Münchweier Catholic records were "restored" in 1674. They begin as follows -- baptisms since 1639, marriages since 1650, and deaths since 1629. There are a few death entries from 1564, 1600, 1619, and 1621. See also Bleichheim (Landkreis Emmendingen) and Ettenheimmünster.
Evangelical sources -- see Ettenheim

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Nesselried

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Nesselried Catholic parish was established in 1891. Nussbach was the Mother Church for Nesselried and other villages. Earlier Nesselried was an affiliate of Appenweier. The village was earlier divided into Ober-Nesselried (belonging to Durbach) and Unter-Nesselried (belonging to Nussbach). Nesselried Catholic church records begin 1815. There are many gaps until 1891. For additional information see Nussbach (Offenburg) and Durbach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg
Nesselried was formerly divided in Unter-Nesselried and Ober-Nesselried

Links:

Neufreistett

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical affiliate -- Neufreistett is an Evangelical affiliate of Freistett Evangelical parish. Ulm (Offenburg) was the Mother Church for Neufreistett and other villages. The village of Neufreistett was established in 1746 as a city and harbor next to the village of Freistett. See Freistett.
Catholic sources -- see Honau
Jewish sources -- Jewish Standesbuch for Neufreistett cover 1833-1870.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Neumühl

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical and Catholic sources -- Neumühl is part of Evangelical and Catholic parishes of Kork. See Kork.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Neuried

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:

Former Political Jurisdiction:

Links:

Niederhofen

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Niederhofen is a small village belonging to the district and parish of Lauf. See Lauf (Ortenaukreis).

Former Political Jurisdiction:

Links:

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Niederschopfheim Catholic parish is very old. Catholic church books begin 1595. There are gaps in baptisms 1651- 1661. Records also include a family book from 1790 and confirmation from 1655.
Evangelical sources -- Niederschopfheim belongs to Diersburg Evangelical parish.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Niederwasser

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Niederwasser Catholic parish was established in 1788. Earlier Niederwasser was divided between the Catholic parishes of Schonach and Triberg as an affiliate of each parish. Niederwasser Catholic records begin 1788. See Schonach and Triberg.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Nonnoneweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Nonnenweier Evangelical parish is very old. 1562-1564 and 1639-1677 it was with Wittenweier. Allmansweier was pastored from Nonnenweier 1638-1652. 1677-1680 Nonnenweier and Wittenweier were both with Allmansweier. 1680-1683 Nonnenweier was pastored from Meissenheim. Nonnenweier became a parish again in 1683. Daubensand (Alsace-Lorraine), a left Rhine village, was an affiliate of Nonnenweier 1704-1796. Nonnenweier Evangelical church recorded begin 1642.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Nordrach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Nordrach Catholic parish has been an independent parish since 1730. Zell am Harmersbach was the Mother Church for Nordrach and Biberach. Nordrach was earlier an affiliate of Zell am Harmersbach until 1608. Nordrach was then pastored from Gengenbach until 1708. From 1708 until 1730 Nordrach was pastored from Zell am Harmersbach. Nordrach Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms and marriages 1608 and deaths 1609. There are gaps in baptisms 1716-1719 and 1837-1838. There are gaps in marriages 1706-1727 and 1734-1754.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Gengenbach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Nussbach (Oberkirch)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic paris -- Nussbach Catholic parish is very old. It was the Mother Church of the Rench Valley for the villages of Oberkirch, Oppenau, Durbach, Ebersweier, and Nesselried. The village of Herztal is part of Nussbach. The village of Zusenhofen was an affiliate of Nussbach until 1939. Unternesselried (now known as Nesselried) was also an affiliate at one time. The village of Bottenau is currently an affiliate of Nussbach parish. The area of Erlach left of the Rench River was an affiliate of Nussbach parish. Nussbach Catholic church records begin 1637. There are gaps in these records 1669- 1691.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Oberachern

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Oberachern Catholic parish is very old. It was the Mother Church of the Acher Valley which includes the villages of Achern, Sasbachwalden, Gamshurst, and Kappelrodeck. Oberachern Catholic records begin as follows -- marriages 1602, baptisms 1608, and deaths 1610. There are gaps in death records until 1681.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Oberdorf

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Oberdorf Catholic church records are included with Oberkirch. Oberkirch Catholic church records cover the years 1647 through 1900. They also include the villages of Winterbach and Wolfag.

Former Political Jurisdiction:

Links:

Oberentersbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Oberentersbach is an affiliate Zell am Harmersbach. See Zell am Harmersbach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:

Links:

Oberharmersbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Oberharmersbach Catholic parish is old. Oberharmersbach Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms 1643, marriages 1653, and deaths 1654. There are gaps in marriage records 1785-1789. Records covering 1643-1900, as well as a family book 1866-1900, are available from LDS family history centers.

Download a copy of the baptismal records for this village, extracted from the LDS Films.(138K)

This file is in Adobe Acrobat format (.pdf) which requires Acrobat Reader (free download from the Adobe site).

This file was graciously donated to the Black Forest site by M. Bothwell. Our many thanks to him!

The original record is identified by the FHL as:
Katholische Kirche Oberharmersbach ( A. Offenburg)Kirchenbuch, 1643-1900.--Salt Lake City: Gefilmt durch the GenealogicalSociety of Utah, 1972.--8 Mikrofilmrollen; 35 mm.

Mikrofilm aufgenommen von Manuskripten im Erzbischöflichen ArchivFreiburg.

Parish register of Oberharmersbach, baptisms, marriages, deaths.

The two reels used for the list are:
Taufen, Heiraten, Tote 1643-1726 (0905063) Taufen 1727-1827 (0905064)

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Gengenbach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Oberkirch

Geography:
Oberkirch is located in northeastern Ortenaukreis on the western edge of the Black Forest. The Rench River flows through the city. The city is surrounded by forests, farms, and vineyards. Oberkirch is 18 km from Offenburg (the county seat), 75 km from Karlsruhe, and 75 km from Freiburg. The following towns have been incorporated into the city: Bottenau, Butschbach-Hesselbach, Haslach, Nussbach, Ödsbach, Ringelbach, Stadelhofen, Tiergarten, and Zusenhofen. The city has a population of just under 19,000.

History:
Oberkirch is first mentioned historically in the 11th century. It was the headquarters for the dukes of Zähringen. Authority over Oberkirch was transferred to the Bishop of Strasbourg in 1303. In 1326 the city was granted it town charter (Stadtrecht). Oberkirch remained under the authority of the Bishop of Strasbourg, except for short periods of time, until 1803. Authority was then transferred to the Grand Duke of Baden.
During the Thirty Years War (1618-1648), Swedish troops occupied the city. The Baroque author Johann Jakob Christoph von Grimmelshausen lived in Oberkirch from 1650 to 1668. He wrote "Simplicius Simplicissmus" while living there. The city was burned in 1689 during war.
The ruins of the fortress Schauenberg are above the city, and offer a beautiful view of the Rhine Plane and the Rench Valley.
Oberkirch has an impressive assembly of Fachwerk (timbered) house on Mühlbach (Mill Brook) in the city center. The local economy thrives on tourism, paper manufacturing, farming, and wine making.
The following towns are now part of Oberkirch: Bottenau, Butschbach-Hesselbach, Haslach, Nussbach, Ödsbach, Ringelbach, Stadelhofen, Tiergarten, and Zusenhofen. The city has a population of under 19,000.

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Oberkirch Catholic parish is very old. Nussbach was the Mother Church for Oberkirch and other villages. Oberkirch became Lutheran 1604-1664. The villages of Gaisbach and Butschbach are affiliates of Oberkirch. The village of Ringelbach has been an affiliate of Oberkirch since April 1, 1937. The village of Ödsbach was an affiliate until 1932. Lautenbach and Winterbach (Lautenbach) were earlier affiliates. The village of Wolfhag is part of Oberkirch parish. Oberkirch Catholic church records begin as follows -- baptisms and marriage 1647 (no gaps) and deaths 1726. Records covering 1647-1900 are available through LDS family history centers. Evangelical parish -- Oberkirch Evangelical parish was established in 1862. Oberkirch was earlier pastored from Legelshurst and other Hanauer villages. The village of Renchen was an affiliate of Oberkirch until 1913, and the village of Oppenau was an affiliate until 1891. Oberkirch Evangelical church records begin 1862. Records covering 1862-1962 are available through LDS family history centers.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Obernesselried

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
The village of Nesselried was formerly divided into Ober-Nesselried (which belonged to Durbach Catholic parish) and Unter-Nesselried (which belonged to Nussbach Catholic parish). See Nesselried, Durbach, and Nussbach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Obersasbach
Obersasbach merged with Sasbach in 1973
Geography:
Sasbach (Obersasbach) is located in northern Ortenaukreis on the western foothills of the Black Forest. Its altitude ranges from 150 to 1,100 meters above sea level. The village is located about 60 km from Karlsruhe and about 85 km from Freiburg. The area is known for its fruit and wine. The rolling landscape is covered with orchards and vineyards.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish curate -- Obersasbach is a Catholic parish curate. Obersasbach was an affiliate of Sasbach until 1954. See Sasbach.

Emigrant Surnames:
Armbruster, Berger, Bohnert, Bruder, Burst, Doll, Ebler, Grässel, Jülg, Kiefer, Könninger, Reichert, Schneider, Schnurr, Steimle, Steck, Wörner (all surnames appear in applications for permission to emigrate 1851-1862)

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Researchers in this area:
Ken Bartelt

Obertal

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Obertal belongs to the district (Gemeinde) and parish of Schuttertal. See Schuttertal.

Former Political Jurisdiction:

Links:

Oberschopfheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Oberschopfheim Catholic parish was a community parish (Leutkirche gemeinschaft) for Oberschopfheim and Diersburg. It became Lutheran in 1525 under the Roeder nobility. Oberschopfheim became Catholic again in 1655. The church in Oberschopfheim was built in 1746. Diersburg was an affiliate until 1864. Oberschopfheim Catholic records begin 1680, and include a family book from 1700. Evangelical sources -- Oberschopfheim was part of Diersburg Evangelical parish until 1768. Oberschopfheim was part of Friesenheim and Kippenheim from 1629 until 1768. See Friesenheim and Kippenheim.

Former Political Jurisdiction:

Links:

Oberweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Oberweier Catholic parish is old. It became Lutheran 1570-1633. Oberweier Catholic records begin 1699. Evangelical affiliate -- Oberweier is an Evangelical affiliate of Friesenheim. 1728-1765 both Oberweier and Friesenheim were affiliates of Kippenheim. See Kippenheim and Friesenheim.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Oberweiler (Offenburg)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
The village of Oberweiler is part of the district (Gemeinde) and parish of Durbach. See Durbach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:

Links:

Oberwolfach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Oberwolfach Catholic parish is old. The village of Walke is an affiliate. Oberwolfach Catholic records begin 1661, and include a family book from 1692. Records covering 1661-1900 are available through LDS family history centers. There are Oberwolfach entries from around 1620 in Wolfach Catholic baptisms registers. See Wolfach for additional entries.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Odelshofen

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical sources -- See Kork.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Ödsbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Ödsbach Catholic parish was an affiliate of Oberkirch until 1932. Ödsbach Catholic church records begin 1811. See Oberkirch for earlier records.

Former Political Jurisdiction:

Links:

Offenburg

Geography:
Offenburg is located at the center of Ortenaukreis. The landscape of the city includes the foothills of the Black Forest and the Rhine Plane. Vineyards and forests cover the hillsides. Offenburg is 78 km from Karlsruhe, 63 km from Freiburg, and 25 km from Strasbourg (France). The city has a population of about 55,000. The following neighboring towns and villages have been incorporated into the city: Albersbösch, Bohlsbach, Bühl, Elgersweier, Fessenbach, Griesheim Weier, Hilboltsweier, Rammersweier, Uffhoffen, Zell-Weierbach, and Zunsweier. Offenburg is the seat of government for Ortenaukreis.

History:
Offenburg is first mentioned historically in the year 1100. However, it was probably founded sometime before the year 900 by the dukes of Zähringen. The city became a free city within the Holy Roman Empire (Freie Reichstadt) in 1240. The city walls were built in that year. Portions of the walls still remain, forming a beautiful city park.
During the Pfalz War of Succession in 1689, Offenburg was burned by French troops. The Kapuzinerkloster (Capuchin Cloister) survived the fire, making it the oldest building in the city. The cloister was built between 1641 and 1647.
Offenburg features many structures from the Baroque period including the Rathaus with its Glöckenspiel (chimes), the Konigshof, the Rech'sche Haus, and the Einhornapoteke. The Salzhaus is in Classical style. The Ritterhaus Museum holds local and regional items, archeological discoveries, and natural and cultural exhibits. The Fischmarkt features a fountain with decorative lions.
Heilig Kreuz (Holy Cross) parish church was built after the fire in 1689, but not completed until the 18th century. The Ölberg dates from 1524, and is a treasured monument on the church square.
From 1556 until 1803, Offenburg was controlled by Austria. In 1803, jurisdiction was transferred to the Grand Duke of Baden.
Offenburg was the center of the Baden Revolution (1847-1848). A freedom festival is held in September of each year.
The city is known as a gateway to the Black Forest, and its coat of arms includes two open gates.
Offenburg is the seat of government for Ortenaukreis, but also serves as a regional center for commerce and education. Electronics and metal works are important industries. Tourism is also important to the local economy, as well as wine making. Offenburg hosts over 125,000 overnight visitors annually. The city also hosts many trade shows.
The following towns and villages have been incorporated into the city: Albersbösch, Bohlsbach, Bühl, Elgersweier, Fessenbach, Griesheim Weier, Hilboltsweier, Rammersweier, Uffhoffen, Zell-Weierbach, and Zunsweier. Offenburg has a population of about 55,000.

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Offenburg Catholic parish is very old. It has numerous affiliates. Ebersweier and Griesheim were earlier affiliates of Offenburg. Riedle was earlier part of Offenburg parish. Offenburg Catholic records begins as follows -- baptisms 1609, deaths 1610, marriage 1627 for Offenburg, Elgersweier, Waltersweier, Weingarten, Ortenberg, Zell, Fessenbach, Weierbach (now Zell-Weierbach), Rammersweier, and Bohlsbach (until 1790). The records are said the be superb. There is a 17th century book of military personnel, strangers, and foreigners which primarily includes Swedish, Weimar, French, and Croat soldiers from neighboring Ortenau. There a numerous entries for Schutterwald and Windschläg from the 17th century. Records covering 1609-1900, which include the villages of Käfersberg, part of Ortenberg, Zell-Weierbach (formerly Zell and Weierbach), Elgersweier, Bohlsbach, Fessenbach, Rammersweier, Durbach, Gengenbach, and Waltersweier, are available from LDS family history centers.
Evangelical parish -- Offenburg Evangelical parish was established in 1854. Zell am Harmersbach was pastored from Offenburg 1860-1865. Records begin in 1847. Records covering 1847-1962 are available through LDS family history centers. Earlier records are contained in Offenburg Catholic parish records.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg - currently the seat of government for Ortenaukreis

Links: www.offenburg.de

Ohlsbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Ohlsbach Catholic parish was established in 1881. Earlier it was part of Gengenbach Catholic parish. Ohlsbach Catholic records begin 1870, and include a family book from 1800. See Gengenbach.
Evangelical source -- See Gengenbach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Gengenbach; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Önsbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Önsbach Catholic parish was established in 1792. Earlier it was an affiliate of Fautenbach Catholic parish. Önsbach Catholic records begin 1792. Önsbach entries are included with Fautenbach Catholic records beginning in 1724. See Fautenbach.

Emigrant Surnames:
Armbruster, Bär, Bogner, Boschert, Braun, Braunerz, Bühler, Doll, Fromm, Germann, Gewirtz, Henninger, Herter, Herr, Höninger, Hönnünger, Hofer, Hund, Jogerst, Klär, Kohler, Maier, Miller, Ott, Reigelsberger, Reiser, Sauer, Schörner, Seger, Serer, Spengler, Springmann, Weber, Weiser, Wilhelm (surnames contained in applications for permission to emigrate 1850-1875)

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Oppenau

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Oppenau Catholic parish is very old. Nussbach was the Mother Church for Oppenau and other villages. It became Lutheran 1604-1664. Lierbach, Maisach, Antogast (Bad) Ibach, and Ramsbach are affiliates of Oppenau. Peterstal (Bad) was an affiliate of Oppenau until 1816. Oppenau Catholic records begin 1629. The records are very reliable 1629-1752. Records covering 1629-1900, including a 1629-1753 index, are available through LDS family history centers. Evangelical parish vicarate -- Oppenau has been an Evangelical parish vicarate since 1950. Until 1891 Oppenau belonged to Oberkirch Evangelical parish. Records covering 1951-1961 are available through LDS family history centers. See Oppenau.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Orschweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Orschweier has been a Catholic affiliate of Mahlberg since 1804. In 1631, Orschweier was placed in parish Mahlberg with prebend. In 1651, Orschweier was transferred to Kippenheim. See Mahlberg and Kippenheim. Jewish resources -- See Mahlberg. Mennonite resources -- See Mahlberg.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Ortenberg

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish-- Ortenberg Catholic parish was established in 1788. The parish was formed from the villages Ortenberg, Käfersberg, and Bühlweg, which were all formerly affiliates of Offenburg. When Ortenberg Catholic parish was established in 1788, it was initially known as Bühlweg Catholic parish. Ortenberg earlier belonged to the former Käfersberg parish. Ortenberg Catholic parish records begin 1788. Records covering 1788-1900, including a family book from 1873, can be obtained through LDS family history centers. Earlier Ortenberg entries can be found in Offenburg Catholic records. See Offenburg.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Ottenheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Ottenheim Catholic parish is very old. It became Lutheran 1548-1570. Ottenheim Catholic records begin 1685. After records were destroyed by the French, they were rewritten. Records also include a family book from 1800, and confirmations from 1715. Ottenheim entries are contained in Kürzell Catholic parish registers 1662-1680. See Kürzell.
Evangelical sources -- Ottenheim Evangelical parish was first established in 1548. The parish became Catholic 1629-1656. Lutherans were pastored from Meissenheim during that time. 1656-1693 Ottenheim became part of Kürzell Evangelical parish. Ottenheim was placed with Schutterzell, Ichenheim, Allmansweier, Kippenheim, Mahlberg, and Meissenheim at different times. In 1765, Ottenheim became an self-standing parish again. Mietersheim was once part of Ottenheim parish. Ottenheim Evangelical records begin 1720, and include a family book from 1785. Entries for Ottenheim are included with Kippenheim Evangelical church records 1642-1720. See also Kürzell and Kippenheim.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Ottenhöfen im Schwarzwald

Geography:
Ottenhöfen is located in northeastern Ortenaukreis at the foot of the Hornisgrinde, the highest point in the northern Black Forest. The village is surrounded by vineyards and forest. Elevation ranges from 311 meter to 1,050 meters above sea level. Ottenhöfen features nine restored mills, 200 Fachwerk (timbered) farms, an historic steam train, and waterfalls. The village is 13 km from Achern, 75 km from Karlsruhe, and 90 km from Freiburg. Ottenhöfen has a population of 3,500.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Ottenhöfen Catholic parish was established in 1823. Ottenhöfen was earlier and affiliate of Kappelrodeck and Waldulm (the side of Ottenhöfen towards Waldulm only). Furschenbach is an affiliate of Ottenhöfen. Seebach was an affiliate of Ottenhöfen until 1933. Ottenhöfen Catholic records begin 1824. Records covering 1824-1900, including an Ottenhöfen family book from 1838 and a Furschenbach family book from 1840, are available through LDS family history centers. Earlier Ottenhöfen entries are contained in Waldulm and Kappelrodeck Catholic records. See Waldulm and Kappelrodeck.
Evangelical resources -- See Achern.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Ottenweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
The hamlet of Ottenweier is parish of district (Gemeinde) Sasbachried, and is part of Sasbach Catholic parish. See Sasbach (Ortenaukreis).

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Peterstal-
Griesbach-Bad

Geography:
The villages of Bad Peterstal and Griesbach have been merged together to form the town of Bad Peterstal-Griesbach with a population of just over 3,000. The town is situated in the Upper Rench Valley at the eastern edge of Ortenaukreis. It is surrounded by forest. Elevation ranges from 400 meters to 1,000 meters above seal level. The area enjoys a mild middle mountain climate. Bad Peterstal has been known for its mineral and mud baths for over 400 years. Bad Peterstal is a spa town, which offers a wide range of treatments for various ailments including rheumatism and nervous system disorders. A symbol of Bad Peterstal is the octagonal pavilion built over Sophia Spring (Sophiequelle) at the beginning of the 19th century. It is called the Fountain Temple (der Brunnentempel).
The Bad Peterstal parish church has a Baroque interior with three altars. Four statues from the former All Holy Cloister (Kloster Allerheiligen) can be seen in the church. Griesbach's parish church was built in 1905 in neo-Gothic style. Bad Peterstal is 36 km from Offenburg (the seat of Ortenaukreis government), 23 km from Freudenstadt, and 50 km from Strasbourg (France).

History

Information Sources:
Peterstal (bad) Catholic parish -- Peterstal (bad) Catholic parish was established in 1816. Beginning in 1763, Peterstal (bad) was pastored by Allerheilgen Cloister, and in 1801 became a local curate. Peterstal (bad) was then an affiliate of Oppenau. Griesbach is a parish curate in association with Peterstal (Bad). Peterstal (bad) church books begin 1801. See Oppenau. Griesbach Catholic parish curate -- Griesbach is a Catholic parish curate in association with Peterstal (bad). Griesbach was formerly an affiliate of Peterstal (bad). The district (Gemeinde) of Griesbach included Griesbach, Döttelbach, and numerous other hamlets. The Gemeinde was known as Döttelbach until 1863, when the name was changed to Griesbach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Poche

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
The hamlet Poche is part of the district (Gemeinde) and parish of Reichenbach (Lahr). See Reichenbach (Lahr).

Former Political Jurisdiction:

Links:

Prinzbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Prinzbach Catholic parish is very old. It became Lutheran 1584-1634. In 1677, Prinzbach along with its church records were destroyed. Prinzbach was an affiliate of Seelbach. Prinzbach became a parish again in 1696. The village of Schönberg is an affiliate of Prinzbach. Prinzbach Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms 1651, deaths 1695, and marriages 1703. See Seelbach.
Evangelical sources -- see Lahr

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:


Important Addresses:

LDS Archives for all of Germany
Kirche Jesu Christi der HLT
Abteilung Genealogie
Max - Planck - Str 239
61381 Friedrichsdorf

General Land Archives
Generallandesarchiv Karlsruhe
Nördliche Hildapromenade 2
76133 Karlsruhe


Post your information on this region here. Help us to help you and your fellow researchers. For more information direct your Inquiries to...
Email