Ortenaukreis

Sponsored by: Ken Bartelt (kbartelt@aeroinc.net)


This is an alphabethic listing of information on thecommunities that have existed within Ortenaukreis. Select the correct letter here, to locate the alphabetic section that contains the community that you are researching and valuable information about it.

A-H
I-Q
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
Z

Querbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical affiliate -- Querbach is an Evangelical affiliate of Kork. See Kork

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Rammersweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic sources -- The village of Rammersweier belongs to the parish of Weingarten. Until 1787 is was part of Offenburg Catholic parish. Entries for Rammersweier are contained in Offenburg Catholic records since 1608. See Offenburg and Weingarten.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Ramsbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic sources -- Ramsbach is part of Oppenau Catholic parish. See Oppenau.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Reichenbach (Lahr)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Reichenbach (Lahr) Catholic parish is old. The parish became Lutheran 1595-1634, and was then a Catholic affiliate of Seelbach until 1840. At time, it was pastored by Schuttertal and Gengenbach?. Kuhbach was an affiliate of Reichenbach (Lahr) 1838-1908. Steinbach (Lahr) and Poche are part of Reichenbach (Lahr).Reichenbach Catholic records begin 1831. Records covering 1831-1900 are available through LDS family history centers. Reichenbach (Lahr) entries are included in Seelbach Catholic records 1739-1830. See Schuttertal, Gengenbach?, and Seelbach.
Evangelical sources -- see Lahr

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Reichenbach (Offenburg)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
See Gengenbach

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Gengenbach; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Reichenbach (Triberg)
see Hornberg
Renchen

Geography:
Renchen is located in north central Ortenaukreis on the edge of the Black Forest foothills. The landscape includes vineyards, streams, and forests. Its elevation ranges from 150 meters to 353 meters above sea level. Renchen is 62 km from Karlsruhe, 75 km from Freiburg, and 17 km from Offenburg (the seat of Ortenaukreis government). The villages of Erlach, Ulm, and die Maiwaldsiedlung have been incorporated into the city. Renchen has a population of about 6,700.

History:
Renchen is first mentioned historically in the year 1115. It is located on the old Roman road connecting the cities of Basel (Switzerland) and Baden-Baden. It's town charter (Stradtrecht) was granted in 1326, but was later relinquished.
Renchen was under the jurisdiction of the Bistums Strassburg, and served as temporary summer headquarters for the Strassburger Fürstbischöfe. The site of the Fürstbischöfe castle is now a park.
The city was destroyed during the Thirty Years' War (1618-1647) and again during the Farmers' Rebellion (circa 1815).
Renchen's most famous resident was the Baroque author Johann Jakob Christoph Grimmelshausen. He lived in the city for nine years, and also lived in nearby Offenburg and Oberkirch. He wrote "Simplicius Simplicissmus". Since 1760, there has been a Grimmelshausen Memorial at the "Simplicissmushaus" next to the Rathaus.
The city is home to the Grimmelshausenbrunnen (fountain), Grimmelshausenarchiv, and a puppet museum.
The villages of Erlach, Ulm, and the Maiwaldsiedlung have been incorporated into Renchen. The city has a population of about 6,700.

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Renchen Catholic parish is old. Ulm (Offenburg) was the Mother Church for Renchen and other villages. The village of Wagshurst was an affiliate of Renchen until 1798. Renchen Catholic books begin as follows -- baptisms 1650, marriages 1655 (gaps 1725-1730 and 1778-1791), and deaths 1660 (gaps 1755-1774). Records covering 1650-1900, including a family book from 1715-1900, are available through LDS family history centers.
Evangelical parish -- Renchen Evangelical parish was established in 1929. Earlier it was affiliated with Oberkirch (until 1913), Achern, and Illenau (an institutional parish in Achern). The village of Appenweier is an affiliate of Renchen. Renchen Evangelical church records begin 1890.
See Oberkirch and Achern.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Rheinbischofsheim

Geography:

History:
Rheinbischofsheim was incorporated into the newly created city of Rheinau January 1, 1975, along with the villages of Diersheim, Freistett, Hausgereut, Helmlingen, Holzhausen, Honau, Linx, and Memprechtshofen.

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Rheinbischofsheim Evangelical parish is old. Ulm (Offenburg) was the Mother Church for Rheinbischofsheim and other villages. The villages of Hausgereut and Holzhausen are part of Rheinbischofsheim. The village of Diersheim was an affiliate of Rheinbischofsheim until 1732. The village of Freistett was an affiliate 1559-1579. Holzhausen is part of Rheinbischofsheim parish. Rheinbischofsheim Evangelical church records begin 1581, and include a family books 1736-1887 and since 1818.
Jewish sources -- Jewish Standesbücher 1810-1870.
Catholic sources -- See Honau

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Riedle

Information Sources:
The village of Riedle is part of Weingarten parish. Riedle earlier belonged to Offenburg. See Weingarten and Offenburg.

Links:

Ringelbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Ringelbach Catholic has been an affiliate of Oberkirch since April 1, 1937. Until 1800, Ringelbach changed between Oberkirch and Waldulm as an affiliate. Ringelbach was an affiliate of Waldulm 1887-1937. Ringelbach was once an affiliate of Kappelrodeck. See Waldulm and Oberkirch

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Ringsheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Ettenheim was the Mother church for Ringsheim and other villages. Ringsheim Catholic parish records begin 1679, and include a family book from 1800. There are gaps in the records 1738-1758. Records covering 1679-1900, including a family book, are available from LDS family history centers. See Ettenheim.
"Dorfsippenbuch Ringsheim, Kreis Lahr in Baden", 1956, by Albert Köbele
"Genealogical Register for the Village of Ringsheim (includes local history)"; German language only

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Rust

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Rust Catholic parish is very old. Rust Catholic church records begin 1652, with gaps at the beginning, and include a family book from 1750. Records covering 1652-1900, including a family book from 1800, are available from LDS family history centers.
Jewish sources -- Rust Jewish records covering 1811-1870 are available from LDS family history centers.
"Ortsippenbuch Rust: Geschichte des Dorfes und seiner Familien", 1969, by Albert Köbele.
"Genealogical Register for Rust: History of the Village and its Families"; German language only

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Rüttihof

Information Sources:
The hamlet of Rüttihof is part of the district Gemeinde) and parish of Zunsweier. See Zunsweier.

Links:

Sand

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Sand Evangelical parish is old. It became Lutheran in 1543. Sand was an Evangelical affiliate of Willstätt 1636-1714. At different times, Sand was pastored from Kork. Sand Evangelical records begin 1721. There are gaps in marriages 1737-1757, 1788-1796 and deaths 1737-1789. These gaps were caused by damage inflicted by the French. There is a family book from 1816. See Willstätt and Kork.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Sandweg

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
The hamlet of Sandweg belongs to the district (Gemeinde) of Sasbachwalden. See Sasbachwalden .

Former Political Jurisdiction:

Links:

Sasbach

Geography:
Sasbach (Obersasbach) is located in northern Ortenaukreis on the western foothills of the Black Forest. Its altitude ranges from 150 to 1,100 meters above sea level. The village is located about 60 km from Karlsruhe and about 85 km from Freiburg. The area is known for its fruit and wine. The rolling landscape is covered with orchards and vineyards.

History:

Emigrant Surnames:
Armbruster, Baumschu (Raumschu), Berger, Berrats, Braun, Bross, Bruder, Bühler, Bürk, Burger, Christ, Decker, Deichelborer, Dietmeier, Dietmaier, Donsberger, Eble, Erhard, Ernst, Fischer, Früh, Gätner, Graf, Habich, Hauser, Hederer, Hegner, Höss, Hug, Jörger, Ketterer, Kunz, Lipp, Maier, Meier, Ostreicher, Ott, Pfeifer, Raumschu (Baumschu), Reichert, Rohrer, Roth, Schlosser, Schneidenberger, Schöttgen, Schrittgen, Schuh, Strack, Valentin, Vollmer, Volk, Wittenauer, Wörner, Wurzler (surnames contained in applications for permission to emigrate 1840-1859)

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Sasbach Catholic parish is very old. Until 1803, Sasbach was part of the Schuttern Cloister parish. Sasbachried (including Malchhurst and Ottenweier) is an affiliate. The following were also affiliates of Sasbach -- Obersasbach (until 1954), Oberwasser (until 1761), Lauf (until 1787), Sasbachwalden (until 1864), Malchhurst, part of Winterbach (Sasbach), and Gamshurst. Sasbach Catholic records begin 1697. A baptism catalog for 1697-1807 was prepared in 1807. Sasbach registers 1657-1696 have been misplaced or destroyed. Records covering 1697-1930 are available through LDS family history centers.

Sasbacher Geschichten -- Erinnerungen und Dokumente aus dem Lenderdorf -- mit alten Bildern und Fotos", 1997, by Bayer, Clauss, and Friedman
"Sasbach History -- Remembrances and Documents from the Village of Lender -- with old sketches and photos" -- German language only
"Ortssippenbuch Sasbach bei Achern 1697-1870" , 1996, by Erich Strack -- [only three copies of this book were printed; one is available at the Sasbach Rathaus]
"Genealogical Register of Sasbach" (emigrations 1846-1909; female and male indexes of married persons, and index of mother's with illegitimate children) -- German language only

Links:

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Researchers in this area:
Ken Bartelt
Bernard Schweigert Surnames: ROTH
Rich Friedmann Surnames: BÜHLER, ROTH

Sasbachried

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Sasbachreid is a Catholic affiliate of Sasbach. The village of Malchurst is part of Sasbachried. See Sasbach.

Former Political Jurisdiction:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Kehl currently part of the city of Achern; Ottenweier is part of the district (Gemeinde) of Sasbachried.

Links:

Sasbachwalden

Geography:

History:
The upper Sasbach Valley was first settled by Germans in the 11th century when the castle Hohenrode (now called Brigittenschloss) was erected. It was one of the first stone castles built in that part of the Black Forest. The castle was built for protection, but may have also served as a signal castle. The forest below Castle Hohenrode was much lower centuries ago making it possible to see the Castle Rodeck at Kappelrodeck and the Castle Rebland at Neuweier. The castle was destroyed during the Farmers' Rebellion in 1815. The first historical reference to the village of Sasbachwalden was as "Sahsbachwalhen" in the 14th century arable land records of the bishopric of Strasbourg. Sasbachwalden was under the jurisdiction of the Cloister Allerheiligen at that time. In the 15th century the spelling is recorded as "Sasswalhen" and in the 16th century as "Sassschwallen". The name evolved into Sasbachwalden. The walden portion of the names does not come from the German word "wald" meaning forest. According to local legend, the name comes from the original settlement of Celts in the areas who were referred to as "Walhen" or "Walchen". The name Sasbach can mean a settlement by a brook with reeds or cattails. To this day, the residents of Sasbachwalden fondly refer to their town as "Saschwalle".
The year 1601 was a milestone in Sasbachwalden's history. In that year vines were ordered thus beginning the wine industry in the area. Wine making took on a special significance when the Cloister Schwarzwach (now called Cloister Schelzberg) was established in Bühl in 1714. The cloister built a vaulted cellar in that year.
In 1844, Holy Trinity Church was built in Sasbachwalden, but the village remained part of Sasbach parish. The altar, bells, backdrop, and confessional ornamentation used in the new church were taken from the dilapidated Holy Trinity pilgrimage church at nearby Lindenfeld. The church is 44 meters long, and was restored in 1881 in Romanesque style. Sasbachwalden became an independent parish in 1864.
In 1926, Sasbachwalden's population was 1,463 -- 711 men, 1432 Catholics, 29 Evangelicals, and 2 others. The village had 248 buildings with 285 households in that year. It's total area in 1926 was 4,510 acres of land as follows: 692 acres of fields, 677 acres of pasture, 128 acres of vineyards, and 2,674 acres of forest. The current population of Sasbachwalden is about 2,300.
The jurisdiction of Sasbachwalden also includes in the following hamlets and areas: Bachmatt, Birkenhöfe, Bischenberg, Brandmatt, Büchelbach with Kirschenberg, auf der Eck, Griesenech, Grobekopf (Kroppenkopf), Hagenberg, Hohenstich, in den Höfen, Hörchenberg, Illenbach, Illengrund, Kappelberg, Katzenstein, Langmatt, Lierenbach, Murberg with Hurschenacker, Oberlangert, Pfuhlbach, Sandweg, Schelzberg, Schönbuch, Steilisberg, Straubenhof, Unterlangert, Vogelsberg, Vorstadt, and Winterbach.
By 1900, Sasbachwalden, Ottenhöfen, and Bühlertal were popular tourist destinations in what was then the district of Bühl. In the 1950's and 1960's many sanatoriums, hotels, and guest houses opened in the area. In 1967, Sasbachwalden won a national competition called "Our village will become more beautiful". The village was recognized as a health resort in 1969, and in 1979 was recognized for the Kneippkur (hydropathic treatment combined with diet and rest) offered in the village. Currently, Sasbachwalden is the most popular tourist destination in Ortenaukreis, and it is one of only two health resorts in the area. There are miles of wooded hiking trails and access to the Gaishölle waterfalls.
The village's motto, "The Flower and Wine Village of the Black Forest" is very fitting. Fachwerk houses, decorated with colorful flower boxes, line the village's streets and dot the surrounding hillside vineyards. Sasbachwalden's wine industry thrives under the label "Alder Gott". According to local legend, a man and woman were found wandering at the close of the Thirty Years' War. Out of pure joy in finding another living soul amid the devastation of the war, upon seeing the woman the man is said to have exclaimed, "Der Alder Gott lebt noch" ("The God of Ages still lives"). A roadside shrine currently marks the site where two were found.

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Sasbachwalden became an parish in 1864. Earlier it was an affiliate of Sasbach Catholic parish. Part of Winterbach (Sasbach) belongs to Sasbachwalden. Sandweg is a hamlet belonging to Sasbachwalden. Sasbachwalden Catholic records begin 1810. See Sasbach and Oberachern

Links:

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Researchers in this area:
Ken Bartelt
Surnames: Dietmeier, Lorenz, Vierthaler, Lettner,
Wörner, Dürr, Gack, and Siffermann

Schmieheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical paris -- Schmieheim Evangelical parish was established in 1723. Schmieheim was earlier an affiliate of Kippenheim. At times Schmieheim was an pastored from Broggingen (Landkreis Emmendingen) and Lahr. Schmieheim was a parish 1630-1655. Ettenheim has been an affiliate of Schmieheim since 1952. Schmieheim Evangelical records begin 1723.
Jewish sources -- Jewish Standesbücher 1811-1870.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Schönberg (Lahr)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Schönberg is an affiliate of Prinzbach. See Prinzbach and Schuttertal.
Evangelical sources -- see Lahr

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Schuttern

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Schuttern Catholic parish is very old. It was a Cloister parish until 1793. Allmansweier (now an Evangelical parish) was part of Schuttern Catholic parish 1508-1582. Schuttern Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms 1650, marriages 1664, and deaths 1680. See Kürzell.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Schuttertal

Geography:
Schuttertal is located in extreme southern Ortenaukreis. The landscape is primarily forest. Elevation ranges from 250 meters to 750 meters above sea level. The village of Schweighausen has been incorporated into Schuttertal. The village has a population of about 3,400. Schuttertal features a late Baroque church.

History:

Emigrant Surnames:
Armbruster, Berger, Blust, Bohnert, Braun, Bruder, Decker, Doll, Fallert, Fischer, Geiser, Habich, Hauser, Heim, Hofmann, Kist, Lorenz, Neunzig, Oberle, Pfeiffer, Reichert, Rettig, Rösch, Rosenacker, Roth, Schmelzle, Schneider, Schnurr, Schlinger, Straub, Striebel, Vierthaler, Weisenbach, Zink (surnames taken from applications for permission to emigrate 1840-1859)

Information Sources:
Schuttertal Catholic records cover the years 1695 through 1893. They include early records for the village of Seelbach.
Heimatbuch Schuttertal: Schuttertal, Ortenaukreis, Baden, 1990, local history by Gerhard Finkbeiner; genealogical register by Hans Scheer, Erich Reinbold, and Klaus Siefert.
Das Saschwaller Buch (The Saschwaller Book; a history of Sasbachwalden), 1997, by Adolf Hirth.

Links:

Schutterwald

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:

Links:

Schwaibach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic and Evangelical sources -- See Gengenbach.

Former Political Jurisdictions: Amtsgericht Gengenbach; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Schwanenbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical sources -- see Hornberg

Links:

Schweighausen

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Schweighausen Catholic parish is old. Until the 16th century, Schweighausen was an affiliate of Wittelbach. Until 1803, Schweighausen was an Cloister parish of Ettenheimmünster. The village of Dörlinbach was an affiliate of Schweighausen until 1913. Wittelbach was an affiliate of Schweighausen until 1837. Schweighausen Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms 1646, marriage 1651, and deaths 1688. There is a family book for 1652-1852, a parish chronicle (Pfarrchronik) 1775-1794. Schweighausen records also include baptisms (until 1734) and marriages and deaths (until 1810) for Wittelbach, and baptisms, marriages, deaths for Dörlinbach until 1809. Early entries for Seelbach are also included in Schweighausen records.
Evangelical sources -- see Lahr

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Seebach (Achern)

Geography:
Seebach is located in northeastern Ortenaukreis. The village is surrouned by forest. Elevation ranges from 400 meters to 1,164 meters above sea level. Seebach is home to a traditional costume museum, a restored mill, and an iron mining works. The population is about 1,500.

History:

Emigrant Surnames:
Armbruster, Becker, Braun, Decker, Fischer, Hofer, Hog, Huber, Jülg, Knapp, Kern, Kohler, Lamm, Maier, Oberle, Penk, Schnurr, Seebacher, Springmann, Siefermann, Waidd, Zink (surnames contained in requests for permission to emigrate 1839-1867)

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Seebach Catholic parish was established in 1946. Seebach was an affiliate of Ottenhöfen 1824-1933, and earlier and affiliate of Kappelrodeck. Seebach Catholic church record begin 1828. Records covering 1828-1900, including a family book, are available through LDS family history centers. Earlier entries appear in Kappelrodeck Catholic records. See Kappelrodeck

Links:

Seelbach (Lahr)

Geography:
Seelbach is located in southwestern Ortenaukreis on the Schutter River. Elevation ranges from 220 meters to 600 meters above sea level. Seelbach has a population of about 4,900.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Seelbach (Lahr) Catholic parish is old. It became Lutheran 1571-1634. After the Thirty Years' War it became a district parish for Seelbach (Lahr), Schutterzell, Reichenbach (Lahr), Kuhbach, Schönberg, Prinzbach, and Schuttertal, with the headquarters for the parish changing between the two villages [headquarters in Seelbach (Lahr) until 1731?; changing to Schutterzell in 1739]. Seelbach (Lahr) and Schuttertal were split in 1814. Wittelbach has been an affiliate of Seelbach (Lahr) since 1837. Reichenbach (Lahr), Kuhbach, Dörlinbach, Prinzbach, and other villages were earlier affiliates of Seelbach (Lahr). The hamlet of Dautenstein is part of Seelbach (Lahr) parish. Seelbach (Lahr) Catholic records begin 1739, and include baptisms beginning in 1734 and marriages and deaths beginning in 1810 for Wittelbach. Seelbach (Lahr) records also include Reichenbach and Kuhbach 1739- 1830. Seelbach (Lahr) records covering 1734-1900, including the village of Wittelbach, can be obtained through LDS family history centers. Earlier Seelbach (Lahr) entries can be found in Schuttertal records until 1670. Earlier Wittelbach entries can be found in Schweighausen records. See Schweighausen. Evangelical sources -- see Lahr

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Sendelbach (Oberkirch)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
See Lautenbach

Links:

Sendelbach (Offenburg)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
See Durbach

Former Political Jurisdictions:

Links:

Stadelhofen (Oberkirch)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Stadelhofen Catholic parish was established in 1861. Earlier it was an affiliate of Ulm (Offenburg). Ulm (Offenburg) was the Mother Church for Stadelhofen and other villages. The parish of Erlach was with Stadelhofen until 1883. Stadelhofen Catholic records begin 1811. See Ulm (Offenburg).

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Steinach (Wolfach)

Geography:
Steinach is located in south central Ortenaukreis on the Kinzig River. The landscape includes forest and lakes. Elevation ranges from 200 meters to 600 meters above sea level. The village is home to a local history and distillery museum, the Baroque parish church Heilig Kreuz (Holy Cross), and Fachwerkgebäude (timbered buildings) from about 1700. A hiking trail offers the opportunity to view 35 varieties of herbs in their native environment. Steinach has a population of about 3,800.

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Steinach Catholic parish is old. The villages of Bollenbach and Schnellingen are affiliates of Steinach. Steinach Catholic records begin 1676, and include a family book from 1820 and a family listing (Familien-Verzeichnis) from 1790. Records covering 1676-1902, including family books from 1836 and 1725-1830 and the village of Bollenbach, are available through LDS family history centers.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Steinbach (Lahr)

Information Sources:
The village of Steinbach is parish of the district Gemeinde) and parish of Reichenbach (Lahr). See Reichenbach (Lahr).

Links:

Strohbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Strohbach is part of Gengenbach. See engenbach.

Links:

Sulz (Lahr)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Sulz Catholic parish is old. It became Lutheran 1567-1629. Sulz was an affiliate of Kippenheim (pastored by Capuchin monks in Mahlberg) 1687-1710. The village of Langenhardt is part of Sulz. Sulz Catholic church books begin 1707, and include a family book from 1790. Earlier Sulz entries can be found in Kippenheim and Mahlberg Catholic parish records. See Kippenheim and Mahlberg.
Evangelical parish -- Sulz became an Evangelical parish again in 1772. It was previously a parish 1567-1629 and 1715-1733. Sulz was a formerly an affiliate of Kippenheim. Sulz Evangelical church records begin 1772. Sulz entries can be found in Kippenheim Evangelical records beginning 1642. Records covering 1747-1765 are contained in the Kippenheim book for Sulz. Another book begun in 1772 contains a collection of older families with a few accounts as far back as 1693.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Sulzbach (Oberkirch)

Information Sources:
Sulzbach (Oberkirch) is part of the village of Lautenbach. See Lautenbach.

Links:

Sulzbach (Wolfach)

Information Sources:
Sulzbach (Wolfach) is a village belonging to Hausach parish. See Hausach.

Links:

Sundheim

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Kehl-Sundheim Evangelical parish was established in 1948. Sundheim was an affiliate of Kehl until 1933, and then became a parish vicar. See Kehl.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Tiergarten (Offenburg)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Tiergarten (Offenburg) Catholic parish was established in 1871. Earlier it was an affiliate of Ulm (Offenburg). Ulm (Offenburg) was the Mother Church for Tiergarten (Offenburg) and other villages. Before the Thirty Years' War, Tiergarten (Offenburg) was an affiliate of Erlach. Tiergarten (Offenburg) Catholic records begin 1811. See Ulm (Offenburg) and Erlach.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Ulm (Offenburg)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Ulm Catholic parish is very old. It served as the Mother Church for Rheinbischofsheim, Waldulm, Renchen, Altfreistett, Neufreistett, Wagshurst, Mösbach, Erlach, Tiergarten, and Stadelhofen (Oberkirch). Haslach (Oberkirch) is an affiliate of Ulm. The following villages were also affiliates of Ulm -- Mösbach, Tiergarten, Erlach, and Stadelhofen (Oberkirch). Ulm Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms and marriages 1655 and deaths 1660. There are gaps in baptisms 1722-1723 and part of 1688 and deaths 1719-1729 and 1801- 1811. There is a family book from 1800.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Oberkirch; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Unterentersbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Unterentersbach is a Catholic affiliate of Zell am Harmersbach. See Zell am Harmersbach.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Gengenbach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Unterharmersbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Unterharmersbach is a Catholic affiliate of Zell am Harmersbach. Funkenstadt is part of Unterharmersbach parish. See Zell am Harmersbach.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Gengenbach; Landkreis Wolfach
The village of Funkenstadt is part of Unterharmersbach

Links:

Unternesselried (Nesselried)

Information Sources:
The village of Nesselried was formerly divided into Unternesselried and Obernesselried. See Nesselried.

Links:

Untertal (Lahr)

Information Sources:
The village of Untertal is part of the district (Gemeinde) and parish of Schuttertal. See Schuttertal.

Links:

Urloffen

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Urloffen Catholic parish was established in 1790 from the old parish of Zimmern. Urloffen was an affiliate of Zimmern. When the parish church in Zimmern was destroyed in 1689, the affiliate church in Zimmern was utilized as the primary parish church. Zimmern is now an affiliate of Urloffen. Urloffen Catholic church records begin as follows -- marriages and deaths 1651 and baptisms 1673.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Researchers in this area:dbravard@yahoo.com

Wagshurst

Geography:
Wagshurst is situated on the Rhine Plain northeast of Strasbourg, France. The landscape is characterized by flat land with the foothills of the Black Forest, including the Hornisgrinde, rising up in the east.

History:
Wagshurst is first mentioned in the year 1136 in a Papal Bull of Pope Innocence II. The parish of Wagshurst was established in 1783, but previously was part of the parish of Renchen. The Wagshurst Catholic church patron saint was Maria Opferung, but was later changed to Johann Baptist.

Wagshurst was incorporated into the city of Achern in 1973.

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Wagshurst Catholic parish was established in 1783. Wagshurst was earlier an affiliate of Renchen. From the 16th century until the Thirty Years' War, Wagshurst was an independent parish. Ulm (Offenburg) was the Mother Church of Wagshurst and other villages. Wagshurst Catholic records begin 1780, and include a family book from 1836.

"850 Jahre Wagshurst, 1136-1986", August 1986, by Franz Ell and Gerhard Nikolaus
"850 Years of Wagshurst 1136-1986", German language only

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Kehl
Amtstadt: Bühl (prior to 1936)

Emigrant Surnames:
Baumert, Becher, Berger, Doll, Dupps, Eckenfels, Eckstein, Ell, Fritsch, Göpp, Hurst, Lamppert, Litsch, Mundy, Mutterer, Ochs, Oser, Riehle, Schindler, Schmehr, Schneider, Schütt, Sermersheim, Siefermann, Vollmer, Wahle (all families emigrating after 1840).

Links:

Waldstein

Information Sources:
See Weiler-Fischerbach and Hausach.

Links:

Waldulm

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Waldulm Catholic parish is very old. Ulm (Offenburg) was the Mother church for Waldulm and other villages. The village of Ringelbach was an affiliate of Waldulm 1887-1937 and earlier. The village of Ottenhöfen (the Waldulm side) was an affiliate until 1823. Waldulm was earlier an affiliate of Kappelrodeck. Waldulm Catholic church records begin 1610 (with gaps until 1728). Records covering 1610-1900 are available through LDS family history centers.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Achern; Landkreis Bühl

Links:

Walke

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Walke is a Catholic affiliate of Oberwolfach. See Oberwolfach.

Links:

Wallburg

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Wallburg is a Catholic affiliate of Münchweier. About 1750-1780 Wallburg was an affiliate of Ettenheim. See Münchweier and Ettenheim.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Ettenheim; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Waltersweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Waltersweier Catholic parish was established in 1790. 1787-1790 Waltersweier was an affiliate of Weier. Waltersweier was earlier an affiliate of Offenburg. Waltersweier Catholic church books begin 1790. Earlier entries are contained in Offenburg Catholic records. See Offenburg.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Weier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Weier Catholic parish was established in 1787. Weier was earlier an affiliate of Bühl (Offenburg). Until 1790, Weier was an affiliate of Waltersweier. Weier Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms 1732 and marriages and deaths 1775. See Bühl (Offenburg).

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Weierbach

Information Sources:
see Zell-Weierbach

Links:

Weiler-Fischerbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Weiler-Fischerbach Catholic parish was formed in 1696 from the old parish of Fischerbach. Weiler-Fischerbach parish included numerous estates including the following -- six estates of Hinterfischerbach (until 1639, then attached to Zell am Harmersbach parish), Eschau and a small area belonging to Weiler (until 1762, then attached to Haslach im Kinzigtal), the estates east of Vorderen Fischerbach and Waldstein (until 1821, then attached to Hausach). Weiler-Fischerbach Catholic records begin 1696, and include a family book from 1780. There are gaps in the records 1756-1759. Weiler Catholic records covering 1696-1890 (also including Fischerbach), including a family book from about 1800, are available through LDS family history centers.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Weiler and Fischerbach were formerly independent from one another.

Links:

Weingarten (Offenburg)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Weingarten Catholic parish was established in 1787. Weingarten was earlier an affiliate of Offenburg. The villages of Zell-Weierbach, Rammersweier, Fessenbach, Riedle, and Albersbach are affiliate of Weingarten. Weingarten Catholic records begin 1787. Records covering 1787- 1900, including various family books and records for Albersbach, Fessenbach and Zell-Weierbach are available through LDS family history centers. See Offenburg.

Links:

Welschensteinach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Welschensteinach Catholic parish is old. Welschensteinach Catholic records begin 1682.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Willstätt

Geography:
Wilstätt is located on the Rhine Plain near the port city of Kehl. The landscape is primarily flat. The towns of Echartsweier, Hesselhurst, Legelhurst, and Sand have been incorporated into Willstätt. The city has a population of about 8,600. Willstätt's Baroque church was built in 1755-1756.

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Wilstätt Evangelical parish is very old. It was the Mother Church for the villages of Eckhartsweier, Hesselhurst, and Hohnhurst. Wilstätt parish became Lutheran in 1545. It was pastored from Kork at different times. Sand was an affiliate of Wilstätt 1636-1714. Wilstätt Evangelical records begin 1608. Records covering 1592-1964, including a new members lists 1664-1724 and a list of clergy 1592-1823, are available through LDS family history centers. Catholic sources -- Wilstätt is part of Griesheim Catholic parish. See Griesheim.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Windschläg

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Windschläg Catholic parish is very old. Ebersweier was pastored from Windschläg at times. Windschläg Catholic records begin in 1703. Numerous Windschläg baptism and marriage entries from the 17th century are included in Offenburg Catholic records. See Offenburg.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Wingerbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Wingerbach was part of the district (Gemeinde) Bermersbach. It belongs to the parishes of Gengenbach and Berghaupten. See Gengenbach and Berghaupten.

Former Political Jurisdictions:

Links:

Winterbach (Lautenbach)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Winterbach belongs to Lautenbach. Earlier it belonged to Oberkirch. See Lautenbach and Oberkirch.

Links:

Winterbach (Sasbach)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Winterbach belongs to Sasbach and Sasbachwalden. See Sasbach and Sasbachwalden.

Links:

Wittlebach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic affiliate -- Wittelbach has been a Catholic affiliate of Seelbach (Lahr) since 1837. It was earlier pastored from Schweighausen (until 1837), though mostly pastored from Seelbach (Lahr). Beginning in 1731, Wittelbach was pastored from Schuttertal. Until the 16th century, Wittelbach was an independent parish, and Schweighausen was an affiliate of Wittelbach. Wittelbach Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms 1734 and marriages and deaths 1810. Earlier entries can be found in Schweighausen Catholic records. See Schweighausen. Evangelical sources -- Wittelbach is part of Lahr Evangelical parish. See Lahr.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Wittenweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Evangelical parish -- Wittenweier Evangelical parish is old. It became Lutheran in 1553. 1562-1564 Wittenweier was pastored from Nonnenweier. 1677-1680 Wittenweier was pastored from Allmannsweier. 1780-1783 Wittenweier was pastored from Meissenheim. Wittenweier Evangelical records begin 1603, and include a family book from 1824.
Catholic sources -- Wittenweier is part of Kappel am Rhine (now called Kappel-Grafenhausen) Catholic parish. See Kappel-Grafenhausen.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Lahr; Landkreis Lahr

Links:

Wolfach

Geography: Wolfach is located in southeastern Ortenaukreis. The landscape is largely forest. Elevation ranges from 260 meters to 851 meters above sea level. Wolfach has a population of about 6,200

History:

Information Sources:
Stadtarchiv Wolfach
Rathaus
Hauptstr 41
77709 Wolfach
Catholic parish -- Wolfach Catholic parish is old. It was Lutheran 1536-1584. The district (Gemeinde) of Kinzigtal is an affiliate of Wolfach. The village of St. Roman was an affiliate of Wolfach until 1785, and Kaltbrunn was an affiliate until 1800. Kirnbach is part of Wolfach parish. Wolfach Catholic records begin as follows -- baptisms and marriages 1595 and deaths 1600. There are gaps in the records 1657-1672, 1689-1695, and 1699-1702. Entries for Oberwolfach are included in the records about 1620. Records covering 1595-1900 are available through LDS family history centers. See Haslach im Kinzigtal for additional information.
Evangelical parish -- Wolfach Evangelical parish was established in 1901. This parish included Hausach until 1929. 1880-1901 Wolfach was pastored from Gutach and Kirnbach. Wolfach Evangelical records begin 1888 (1898 for Hausach). Records covering 1888-1962 are available through LDS family history centers.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Wolfach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Researchers in this area:
Faith Haungs

Wolfhag

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Wolfhag is part of Oberkirch parishes. See Oberkirch.

Links:

Zell am Harmersbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Zell am Harmersbach Catholic parish is very old. It was the Mother parish for Nordrach and Biberach. Zell a. H. was pastored from Gengenbach Cloister until 1608. Nordrach and Biberach were part of Zell a. H. parish until the 18th century. The villages of Unterentersbach, Oberentersbach, Unterharmersbach (including Funkenstadt), Nordrach (until 1608) and Biberach (until 1618) were all affiliates of Zell a. H. Zell a. H. Six estates of Hinterfischerbach formerly belonging to Weiler-Fischerbach were attached to Zell am Harmersbach in 1639. Catholic records begin as follows baptisms 1654 and deaths and marriages 1685.
Evangelical parish -- Zell am Harmersbach Evangelical parish was established in 1950. Zell a. H. was pastored from Offenburg 1860-1865, then Gengenbach 1865-1925, then Haslach-Hausach 1925- 1935, and then again from Gengenbach until 1950. Zell a. H. Evangelical church records begin 1886. See Offenburg and Gengenbach.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Gengenbach; Landkreis Wolfach

Links:

Researchers in this area:
Faith Haungs

Zell-Weierbach

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Zell-Weierbach is an affiliate of Weingarten. Until 1790, Zell-Weierbach was an affiliate of Offenburg. See Offenburg and Weingarten.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Zierolshofen

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Zierolshofen is part of Bodersweier Evangelical parish. See Bodersweier.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Kehl; Landkreis Kehl

Links:

Zimmern (Offenburg)

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
The hamlet of Zimmern is part of the district (Gemeinde) and parish of Urloffen. See Urloffen.

Former Political Jurisdictions:

Links:

Zunsweier

Geography:

History:

Information Sources:
Catholic parish -- Zunsweier Catholic parish is very old. Berghaupten was an affiliate of Zunsweier until 1736. The village of Rüttihof is part of the district (Gemeinde) and parish of Zunsweier. Zunsweier Catholic records begin 1736, and include a family book.

Former Political Jurisdictions:
Amtsgericht Offenburg; Landkreis Offenburg

Links:

Important Addresses:

LDS Archives for all of Germany
Kirche Jesu Christi der HLT
Abteilung Genealogie
Steinmühlstraße 16
61352 Bad Homburg vor der Höhe

General Land Archives
Generallandesarchiv Karlsruhe
Nördliche Hildapromenade 2
76133 Karlsruhe

Steinmühlstraße 1661352 Bad Homburg vor der Höhe

Post your information on the cities and villages of Ortenaukreis here.
Help us to help you and your fellow researchers.
For more information direct your inquiries to.....
Email

Copyright © 2012 Webster's. All rights reserved.